Friday, April 30, 2010

Manjack Cay











Kyle and I snorkeled on the most amazing reef that I have seen yet here in the Bahamas. The coral, the fish, the sea fans, sea vegetation, caves, arches, crevices, and walls were all so stunning......and I forgot my camera. I guess that means we will have to go back. We may even take Harley this time.

Yesterday we took a trip up to Manjack Cay and instantly fell in love with this small island. An acquaintance/friend from way back, Bill Harrington, lives there so it was really nice to see him again and his wife Leslie. Bill owns a wonderful piece of property (his own corner of paradise). He has built a fabulous home surrounded by beautiful gardens and overlooking a pretty cove on the Sea of Abaco. The home itself is a work of art. On the far side of his property is the ocean side of the island, which has a magnificent white sand beach that stretches forever. If I lived there I would NEVER leave.

We are looking forward to the Island Roots Heritage Festival, which starts today here in Green Turtle Cay. Should be fun!

Pictures:
1. Bill and Leslie's front porch
2. Dock on sound side
3. Off the back deck
4. Ocean side

5 comments:

  1. Do you have any contact info for Bill Herrington. I have been out of touch but he has not been forgotten. My wife and I would like to stop by and see him and meet Leslie. We had left Florida before they married. If you'd rather forward my address to Bill that would work as well. Thanks, Charlie & Karen Nielsen

    nordicww@hotmail.com
    860 165th Ave
    Balsam Lake, WI 54810

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Janice,

    We were sailing in the Abacos in early January 2013 and during our walk south on Ocean Beach on the windward side of Manjack Cay came across what we've now verified is ordnance from 1945 (a 5" powder casing). Don't know what officials to alert if any but we briefly met Bill while there and thought it might be a good idea to let him know as he may know the proper channels. Would you be willing to contact him for us? I am able to give more details and did take a few pictures. Thank you for your time and help.

    Shelly and Mike
    lostnfoundonoahu@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janice, my name is Ruth. My husband and I met Bill and Leslie when we cruised the Abacos on our boat "Ciao" around 20 years ago. For a while after we stayed in contact with them but then lost sight. Now with Dorian approaching all my memories come back. Do you have an idea how to contact Bill and Leslie? Thank you for your help. Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We too have been worried about them.We met them about 30 years ago and kept up with them for years. Lost contact about 20 years ago, but was able to reach them last May to let them know about a death of a good friend. I've tried emailing and texting them to see how they were after the hurricane, but had no response. Their email address is billandlesliemanjack@gmail.com. that was how I reached them. Good luck! Pray they are OK. LaDonna in Mississippi

      Delete
    2. Hopefully you have had an update from Bill and Leslie. They did get an email to me a while back that they were okay and the homes were fine, but the vegetation and land were devastated. Already had people there to help with trying to help restore and mend PARADISE.

      Delete